House fires are devastating, causing damage to homes and personal possessions and putting lives at risk. Unfortunately, house fires in Salina, Kansas, may be more common than many people realize, with an estimated average of over 365,000 house fires occurring annually in the United States. These fires are responsible for over 2,500 deaths and 11,000 injuries each year. The cost of property damage due to these fires is estimated to be around 7 billion dollars.
COMMON CAUSES OF HOUSE FIRES
Here are some of the most common causes of house fires and tips on how to prevent them:
- Cooking accidents: Unattended cooking is the leading cause of house fires. It is important to stay in the kitchen when cooking and never leave the stove unattended. Keep flammable items such as curtains, towels, and pot holders away from the stove.
- Heating equipment: Heating equipment such as space heaters, furnaces, and chimneys are also a common cause of house fires. It is important to have heating equipment inspected regularly and to keep flammable items at least three feet away from any heat source.
- Electrical equipment: Faulty wiring and electrical equipment can cause house fires. It is important to have a licensed electrician inspect your home’s wiring and electrical equipment regularly. Do not overload electrical outlets and replace any frayed or damaged electrical cords.
- Smoking: Smoking is a leading cause of house fire fatalities. It is important to smoke outside and to never smoke in bed or leave a lit cigarette unattended.
- Candles: Candles are another common cause of house fires. It is important to keep candles away from flammable items and to never leave candles unattended.
- Children: Children playing with matches or lighters can accidentally start a house fire. It is important to keep matches and lighters out of reach of children and to teach children about the dangers of fire.
- Flammable liquids: Flammable liquids such as gasoline and paint thinner can also cause house fires. It is important to store flammable liquids in a cool, dry place away from any heat source.
PRECAUTIONS LEAD TO PREVENTION
House fires can be prevented by taking simple precautions such as staying in the kitchen when cooking, having heating equipment inspected regularly, and keeping flammable items away from heat sources. By following these tips, you can better protect your home and your loved ones from the devastating effects of house fires in Salina, Kansas.
There are other precautions, too, that can be put into place to keep your home and family safe by means of prevention and action if a fire should happen in Salina, Kansas, such as smoke alarms, fire extinguishers, and a fire escape plan.
If you’re dealing with the aftermath of a fire in Salina, Kansas, it can be overwhelming and difficult to know where to start. This is where a fire restoration company can help. These companies specialize in cleaning up and restoring properties damaged by fire, and they have the experience and equipment needed to do the job right. They can help with everything from removing debris and cleaning up soot to repairing structural damage and rebuilding.
So, if you’re dealing with a fire-damaged property, please don’t hesitate to reach out to us here at FreshCo for help and we can begin the process of restoring your property and getting your life back on track.
“We needed our vents cleaned as well as our HVAC system. Ray and London are so friendly and a joy to work with. When it’s time to vent clean again, I know who I’m calling! I highly recommend FreshCo Cleaning & Restoration.”
— KARA R. IN WICHITA, KANSAS