All efforts to prevent or correct IAQ problems should include an effort to identify and control pollutant sources. Even though not all of the common causes of indoor air quality issues may be easily seen or determined, there is still help in finding and resolving the indoor air quality issues.
While each indoor air quality issue may have its own specific circumstances, how to solve indoor air quality problems will most likely be a very similar process in each circumstance. Some indoor air quality indicators are very visible and easy to figure out, but there are some that may be a bit more difficult in Sedgwick, Kansas. First things first, let’s discuss some indicators that your home’s air quality may be suffering.
INDICATORS THAT YOU MIGHT BE EXPERIENCING INDOOR AIR QUALITY ISSUES
Common symptoms that people experience with indoor air quality issues:
- Trouble concentrating
- Irritation of eyes, nose, and/or throat
Things to look for if you suspect indoor air quality issues:
- Visible fungal growth
- Mold or mildew
- Staining or discoloration of building materials
- Blocked vents
The EPA identifies three main sources that can be the cause of indoor air quality issues. Below are those three main sources and some questions that you may ask yourself if you are questioning the indoor air quality of your home in Sedgwick, Kansas.
- Air Handling Unit and Ductwork:
- Is the airflow from vents sufficient?
- Is there moisture, debris, or mold in or near the unit?
- Are the filters clean and properly installed?
- Building Sources:
- Has there been recent
- or construction?
- Were there pesticides applied recently?
- Has new furniture, flooring or equipment been installed?
- Are solvents or other chemicals stored in poorly sealed containers?
- Are areas in the building overly dusty?
- Biological Sources:
- Do you see or smell any mold?
- Do you have any pets?
- Is condensation often present on windows or cold sources?
- Do you see wet or frequently damp areas?
- Is indoor relative humidity over 60 percent?
SO WHAT CAN CAUSE INDOOR AIR QUALITY ISSUES?
As mentioned above, the EPA has broken up the majority of causes into three sources. If you answered yes to one or more of those questions, it may be time to take further action to find the exact source in your circumstance. The causes and the indicators can be one and the same, but as mentioned before, some causes may be less visible and less easily determined in Sedgwick, Kansas.
Common causes of indoor air quality issues include:
- Pet dander
- Previous flooding/leaks
- Secondhand smoke
- Household products, such as cleaners and pesticides
- Poor ventilation
- Excessive moisture/humidity
STEPS TO SOLVE INDOOR AIR QUALITY ISSUES
All efforts to prevent or correct IAQ problems should include an effort to identify and control pollutant sources. Even though not all of the common causes of indoor air quality issues may be easily seen or determined, there is still help in finding and resolving the indoor air quality issues in Sedgwick, Kansas. Source control is generally the most cost effective approach to mitigating indoor air quality problems in which sources of contaminants can be identified. In some cases, source control may be the only solution that will work. Source control and resolving indoor air quality issues may require help from a professional.
A very general strategy to find and control source of poor indoor air quality would go something like this:
- Identify sources, then remove or reduce the source, seal or cover the source, or modify the environment.
- Improve ventilation to provide outside air throughout the home.
- Improve air filtration to clean air from outside and inside the home.
Again, because of a difference in the source and where it’s at, the solution will be based on individual circumstances in Sedgwick, Kansas. If you are experiencing indoor air quality issues, we at FreshCo Cleaning and Restoration can help. We can assist you to diagnose the source of the air quality issue and come up with a solution to keep the air quality of your home at an optimal level.
“On time, finished within 2 hours and cleaned up afterwards. Price was as quoted. I would highly recommend this business.”
— Mark G. in Wichita, Kansas