Companies like FreshCo are a great way to protect yourself and your property, but what steps can you take immediately to make sure your property and family are secure?
Pipes burst. Toilets overflow. Water heaters fail. Natural disasters like windstorms, floods and earthquakes – as well as hurricanes, tornadoes and fires – can occur with little or no warning. Derby, Kansas, has seen its share of these disasters. While events like these can seem overwhelming, it is important to respond as quickly as possible while taking care not to jeopardize your safety. Companies like FreshCo are a great way to protect yourself and your property, but what steps can you take immediately to make sure your property and family are secure?
It’s important to take immediate steps.
Calling for help and waiting for a professional are sensible and safe ways to deal with a disaster. However, there are some steps you can take immediately, even on your own. But should you take the time? Yes! Taking immediate action will allow you to:
- Reduce damage and loss of personal belongings and household goods.
- Mitigate the quantity of rust, rot, mold and mildew that may develop.
- Lower the likelihood that water will lead to structural problems.
- Increase your chances of salvaging materials from the site.
Your first priority is protecting your family.
Take all appropriate precautions as directed by your local emergency management officials in Derby, Kansas. If you have time before a water-related emergency, take steps to protect your home and belongings:
- Place your furniture up on blocks; this will help protect furniture from water and protect the carpet against damage from wet upholstery dyes, wood and rust stains.
- Bring heirlooms, family photos, important documents or other valuables up from the basement.
- Disconnect all electronics and electrical equipment in rooms that may be affected; move them to a safe, dry location.
The storm has passed. Now what?
If you’ve weathered a storm in Derby, Kansas, that has created water events, it’s time to take steps to mitigate any possible damage. After any major water damage event:
- If possible, stop the flow of water by turning off the main water supply to the house.
- Immediately retrieve water-damaged materials.
- Remove as much standing water as possible from inside the home; it is recommended that you contact a plumber as needed and a water extraction company like FreshCo for assistance.
- Ventilate the home with fans and/or dehumidifiers.
After the threat of physical danger has passed, assess the damage and take the following steps:
- Make sure the home is structurally safe to enter or reoccupy.
- Water and electricity are a dangerous combination; make sure it’s safe to use electrical power.
- Ensure that natural gas sources are safely secured.
- Prevent further moisture intrusion of the building exterior; this can include boarding up broken windows, making temporary roof repairs, sealing cracks or tacking plastic sheeting against open gaps in walls or roofs.
- Carpets damaged with clean water can usually be cleaned and re-laid over new padding. Carpets damaged with dirty water like sewer backup or river sediment will probably need to be replaced.
FreshCo has years of experience in dealing with water intrusion and damage. We can not only help in a disaster, but also aid homeowners in Derby, Kansas, in preventing damage in the future. Be prepared and keep our number ready for when disaster strikes!
“Definitely hire this company! They clean and dry thoroughly!!”
— Yvonne/Andrew T. in Derby, Kansas