Being a landlord is definitely not without its stresses, and while having amazing tenants is such a blessing – time and unforeseen occurrences can make renting a home or apartment in Goddard, Kansas, quite stressful. One of those time and unforeseen occurrences would definitely include the threat of mold or mold contamination.
MOLD GROWTH: AN UNINVITED GUEST!
Mold spores are everywhere around us, and given the right conditions that can mean mold growth in a home or apartment in Goddard, Kansas. Mold can grow within 24-48 hours after meeting those right conditions, which is essentially water or moisture, air, and food. It sounds strange to say food, but what that means is something for it to digest while it grows. So furniture, carpet, and other surfaces can unfortunately provide that “food.”
Mold growth and contamination can occur for many reasons in Goddard, Kansas. Most have to do with water intrusions such as a pipe breaking or leaking, flooding that occurs naturally or from other sources, and excess moisture and humidity.
HOW TO KEEP MOLD FROM BUILDING A HOME IN YOUR HOME
There are several techniques of mold prevention, but honestly, they revolve around moisture and keeping it under control in Goddard, Kansas. The sources of water that can cause issues exist from inside and outside the home, so it becomes essential to take care of and keep all water sources in good working condition to prevent mold growth.
Moisture control is key:
- When water leaks or spills occur – act quickly and make sure that everything is clean and completely dry.
- Clean, repair, and make sure gutters and outside water sources are sloped away from the home or apartment so as not to enter or collect around the foundation.
- Keep air conditioning drip pans clean and drain lines unobstructed and flowing properly
- Keep indoor humidity low. Optimum indoor humidity would be between 30 and 50 percent to avoid mold growth.
- Watch for condensation on windows, walls or pipes.
- Use air conditioners and de-humidifiers as needed.
- Increase air ventilation or air movement when possible by opening doors and windows.
- Clean up and dry out the home or apartment within 24-48 hours after a water intrusion, such as flooding or pipe break.
IF UNFORTUNATELY MOLD HAS ALREADY MOVED IN AND IS AN UNINVITED GUEST, WHAT CAN YOU DO?
The first thing in most cases would be to determine what and where the water source is that has provided or continues to provide the moisture or water to facilitate mold growth. Once that is determined, it would be imperative to get that issue fixed. If flooding has occurred, it is necessary to remove the water and to clean and dry everything completely. There are professional companies that provide these services and have the equipment necessary to make sure that everything is completely clean and dry in Goddard, Kansas. Mold inspections, after the fact, are also a very smart decision. An inspector will investigate areas of concern and use tools to determine if there is mold contamination, to what extent, and the source. If there is mold contamination, they will provide recommendations. Some professional mold inspection companies also have expertise in mold remediation. Mold remediation would remove the mold contamination and your home would once again be free of any unwanted mold guests.
If mold has become a concern in one or more of your rentals in Goddard, Kansas, FreshCo Cleaning and Restoration can assist in performing a mold inspection and if needed, mold remediation. We specialize in these areas and would be happy to help. Please give us a call if you have concerns about mold in your home or rental!
“Ray and London do amazing work. Their knowledge of the industry and willingness to educate makes them stand apart from their competition.”
— Iva W. in Wichita, Kansas