While it may take a bit of work and some time, there are things that can be done by yourself and with the help of professionals to make your home more comfortable for those visiting with cat allergies.
It might seem like it’s an impossible feat given that our fur babies a.k.a. cats make their way all over our homes in Newton, Kansas. But there are ways to make your home more comfortable for a friend or family member coming to visit that happens to have an allergy to cats.
BUT THEY ARE SO CUTE AND FLUFFY!
Surprisingly though, it’s not the actual cat fur that people are allergic to. The allergenic culprit is actually a protein that is found in cat saliva, dander, and urine. Around the world and in Newton, Kansas people who suffer from cat allergies are twice as many who have allergies from dogs. One reason why there are double the amount of people who suffer from cat allergies is due to this protein from cats being one of the smallest molecules, measuring roughly one-tenth the size of a dust allergen. The incredibly microscopic size of these little protein molecules allows them to stay airborne for much longer than most other allergens. This, in turn, makes them easy to inhale, causing an allergic reaction. This is also why most who have cat allergies have issues with cat fur because these microscopic proteins can stick to cat fur as well.
DON’T WORRY, THERE ARE DEFINITELY THINGS THAT CAN BE DONE TO HELP WITH FLUFFY’S DANDER
Again, it may seem impossible especially after learning it actually isn’t fur that causes an allergic reaction. While it may take a bit of work and some time, there are things that can be done by yourself and with the help of professionals to make your home more comfortable for those visiting with cat allergies in Newton, Kansas.
Things that you can generally do yourself:
- Wash guest bedding in hot water
- Clean or remove area rugs during their visit
- Mop all floors
- Vacuum using a vacuum with a HEPA filter
- Dust all surfaces
- Use personal air filters with HEPA filters throughout the home and/or especially in the areas the guests will be in most
- If weather is permitting, opening the windows to allow ventilation will help clear any cat allergens in the air
- Stay on top of cleaning the litter box and change out the litter more often while they are visiting
- Gently bathe and groom your furry friends
- If possible – have a cat free zone
- Last but not least, have allergy medicine on hand
Things that a professional can do to help:
- Cat grooming – reduce the amount of allergens that end up in the air.
- Air duct and vent cleaning – thorough, professional air duct cleaning not only removes built-up pet dander, but also cleans it off the surfaces inside the air ducts.
- One-time house cleaning – takes some of the stress off of you to have a cleaning technician come in and clean before visitors arrive.
- Carpet cleaning – carpets catch a lot of dust and dander that may not come up with regular vacuuming.
LET’S TALK A MINUTE ABOUT THESE PROFESSIONAL OPTIONS
If you decide to proceed with some of the professional options – just remember that most will require an appointment. With enough advance notice, you should be able to coordinate those appointments in just the right amount of time for your friend’s or family’s scheduled visit to Newton, Kansas.
FLUFFY AND FRIENDS CO-EXISTING FOR THE VISIT
It’s true that while a cat lives in a home anywhere or in Newton, Kansas will never be completely free of allergens. But doing the things listed above should be a great help in keeping your visitors comfortable.
If you are in need of some help in getting your home in Newton, Kansas ready for friends or families with cat or dog allergies, please give FreshCo Cleaning and Restoration a call. We can take some of the stress off of you in getting ready for their visit with one time house cleaning and air duct and vent cleaning services. We can help make your home comfortable for your incoming guests!
“This was the 2nd time we hired FreshCo to clean up mold. They do a great job! Very thorough.”
— Sheena T. in Wichita, Kansas