Not only is indoor air quality important so that time inside the home can be enjoyable and pleasant, there are also health aspects to consider.
“EWWW, WHAT’S THAT SMELL?”
We have all walked into a room in Haysville, Kansas, and almost instantly wondered where a certain strong odor was coming from, but those who have been in the room for a while don’t seem to notice the odor as much. The strange thing about odors is that just because something might have a “bad” odor does not always mean that it is unhealthy or unsafe. Vinegar, for instance, does not smell good to everyone, but it is harmless. Other substances, like carbon monoxide, are odorless, extremely harmful, and unsafe. In some instances it could be as simple as a bag of garbage that needs to be taken out. In other cases, the source may be odorless but you and your family are suffering adverse effects from the source of the invisible odor. Or the substance does smell but it is not easily located and identified.
SHOULD ODORS BE IGNORED?
The short answer is no, odors in Haysville, Kansas, should not be ignored, whether it is a stinky bag of garbage or a more mysterious source of odor that is not so easily identifiable. These mysterious odors can most certainly be an indication of something more serious. However, when indoor air quality (IAQ) is called into question there are factors to consider.
- Individuals’ reactions will vary in response to an odor. One individual who walks into the room may be very sensitive to odors while another is not affected by the odor. An individual’s reaction to an odor can depend on age, sensitivity to odors, or pre-existing medical conditions.
- Odor is not 100% reliable as a test for the quality of indoor air because there are many variables to how an odor may smell from one person to the next.
- While some odors are easily identifiable, the source of the odor in question that needs to be identified may require the help or services of a trained and qualified person to assess certain areas where the odor could be emanating from. Also, a trained professional in Haysville, Kansas, may be the best choice for removal of the source of the odor.
POSSIBLE AND COMMON SOURCES OF MYSTERIOUS ODORS THAT SIGNIFICANTLY IMPACT INDOOR AIR QUALITY
- Poor ventilation, lack of fresh outdoor air being brought into the home due to obstructions or build-up.
- Ventilation disruption because of heating and air-conditioning system issues.
- Dampness and moisture damage due to leaks, flooding or high humidity which could have caused mold issues.
- Occupant activities in Haysville, Kansas, such as construction or remodeling.
- Indoor air is being impacted by things such as gas, wood, wet/damp carpet, products used inside the home such as cleaning supplies, and outdoor sources such as pesticides or pollution.
WHY IS INDOOR AIR QUALITY SO IMPORTANT?
Not only is indoor air quality important so that time inside the home can be enjoyable and pleasant, there are also health aspects to consider. Indoor air quality (IAQ) describes how inside air can affect a person’s health, comfort, and ability to be active. It involves temperature, humidity, lack of outside air (poor ventilation), mold from water damage, or exposure to other chemicals. The health effects can be immediate or show after prolonged exposure, and again, this depends a lot on the individual. Some immediate effects may include eye irritation, nose and throat irritation, and headaches. Prolonged exposure may cause health issues such as asthma..
WHAT TO DO NEXT?
- Limit the use of products or practices that could cause odor.
- Keep indoor areas dry to prevent mold growth and musty odors.
- Make sure your indoor environment is well ventilated.
It is important to recognize and remember that while some sources of odor in Haysville, Kansas, are easily identifiable and easily fixed, that may not always be the case. Other odors may be a bit more elusive and possibly require the services of a trained and experienced professional. To err on the side of caution when it comes to odor can benefit your home and health.
If you are experiencing issues with persistent odor, possible health issues due to indoor air quality, or would simply like an indoor air quality test done in your home, please contact FreshCo Cleaning and Restoration for more information and to get started on an inspection.
“Very professional and friendly! They did a great job!”
— Wendy C. in Haysville, Kansas