Mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present.
Mold and Water
Mold, as we have learned, is floating all around us. Whether you live in Wichita, Kansas; Salina, Kansas,; Hutchinson, Kansas; Newton, Kansas; McPherson, Kansas; or Lyons, Kansas, you have mold all around you. For some of us, these mold spores upset our allergies from time to time. For most of us, we do not notice them until water gets involved.
Have you ever walked into your basement, cellar or crawlspace and noticed a slight musty smell? Generally speaking, that’s because the mold floating around in the air has settled on ledges or walls and then started to become hydrated by the increase in relative humidity or by an active water source. Many homes in Wichita, Kansas and Hutchinson, Kansas experience this in the rainy season.
Molds can gradually destroy the things they grow on. You can prevent damage to your home and furnishings, save money, and avoid potential health problems by controlling moisture and eliminating mold growth.
How Much Water Is Too Much Water?
As a general rule, when we talk about the relative humidity or moisture in the air we want it to be below 50%. Any active water source (water that is standing in a puddle or leak) should be eliminated immediately. If you live in Wichita, Kansas and close to a river or lake you need to keep an eye on your crawlspace or basement. Waterproofing can sometimes fail without warning. Hutchinson, Kansas residents can have problems with flood areas.
It is impossible to get rid of all mold and mold spores indoors; some mold spores
will be found floating through the air and in house dust. However, the mold spores will not grow if moisture is not present. Indoor mold growth can and should be prevented or controlled by controlling moisture indoors. If there is mold growth in your home, you must clean up the mold and fix the water problem. If you clean up the mold, but don’t fix the water problem, then, most likely, the mold problem will come back.
Once the Water Problem Is Fixed
Who should do the cleanup depends on a number of factors. One consideration is the size of the mold problem. If the moldy area is less than about 10 square feet (less than roughly a 3 ft. by 3 ft. patch), then in most cases you can handle the job yourself, following the guidelines below. However: If there has been a lot of water damage, and/or mold growth covers more than 10 square feet, consult the U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) guide, “Mold Remediation in Schools and Commercial Buildings.” Although focused on schools and commercial buildings, this document is applicable to other building types. It is available on the Internet at www. epa.gov/mold. It is never a bad idea to have a certified professional evaluate the situation – fill out the form below to send us an inquiry. (And check out our credentials while you’re at it!)
- Relative humidity below 50%
- Eliminate water sources: Fix plumbing leaks and other water problems as soon as possible (standing water, leaks, seeping)
- Dry all items completely
- Use your nose (If there is a musty smell CALL for an inspection)
- Avoid breathing in mold or mold spores
“Definitely hire this company! They clean and dry thoroughly!!”
— Yvonne/Andrew T. in Derby, KS