It can be disconcerting and upsetting to find out that your home is making you or your family sick. Yet, the first step in getting you, your family, and your home in Newton, Kansas, back to health is recognizing what could be the cause.
Usually when we get sick in Newton, Kansas, we can generally figure out why. But there are times when the reasons for feeling sick are far more elusive and difficult to diagnose. In those times you may find that your health improves when you are not home and you start to feel worse again when you are home–and you question why that is happening.
A DIFFERENT TYPE OF HOME-SICKNESS
One of the reasons it can be difficult to diagnose when something in the home is the culprit of making those in the household sick is that the symptoms can seem common and can mimic a cold or the flu. Allergies can also be triggered from certain unknown things in the home. One might pass it off as just a reaction from some sort of outside pollen or grass in Newton, Kansas.
Some of the common symptoms that can occur when there is something in the home triggering allergies or sickness are:
- Postnasal drip
- Dry, itchy skin
- Itchy eyes, nose and/or throat
- Nasal congestion
More severe reactions can occur, unfortunately. Some of the severe reactions include:
- Shortness of breath
- Chest tightness
For someone who is allergic to mold or has asthma, the reactions can be even more intense.
IT’S NOT ONLY YOU THAT IS SICK, BUT YOUR HOME AS WELL
It can be disconcerting and upsetting to find out that your home is making you or your family sick. Yet, the first step in getting you, your family, and your home in Newton, Kansas, back to health is recognizing what could be the cause. This usually leads one to have to consider what is affecting the indoor air quality of the home.
Common causes affecting indoor air quality are:
- Mold and mildew
- Volatile Organic Compounds
- Dust and dust mites
- Inadequate ventilation
- HVAC issues
A HEALTHY HOME LEADS TO HEALTHY RESIDENTS
Usually the most effective way to improve air quality in the home in Newton, Kansas, is to eliminate individual sources and their emissions. This may sound easier said than done but it’s important to take it one step at a time.
- Mold and mildew can be both a seen and unseen danger given that it can grow almost everywhere given the right circumstances. Mold spores can grow within 24-48 hours and so it’s very important to keep standing water and high humidity out of your home. Mold inspections done by a professional will give a resident a full view of any mold damage and what would need to be done next to remediate.
- Volatile Organic Compounds (VOCs) are found in house cleaners and even air fresheners. These products can be eliminated by replacing them with products that are free of VOC ingredients or by using simpler alternatives when cleaning, like vinegar or baking soda. VOCs can also be tested by a professional.
- Eliminating the danger of dust and dust mites may seem like a never ending battle, but it is one worth taking. Washing bedding in hot water can eliminate dust mites, and keeping the home from accumulating too much dust will also help in keeping dust mites at bay.
- Inadequate ventilation can be helped by opening windows and doors to let the air circulate from outside through the home. A HEPA portable air cleaner can also provide relief.
- Radon levels can be tested by a professional and if an issue exists, they would be able to offer a solution.
- HVAC issues are one of the major issues when it comes to indoor air quality; this is because clogged ductwork and vents can spread dust, allergens, bacteria, mold, and other harmful substances throughout the home. HVAC, air ducts, and air vents can be cleaned by professionals to ensure that they are properly cleaned and, again, drastically improve indoor air quality in a home.
If you or your family have been experiencing feeling ok when you are not home, but when you are home you feel sick or allergic to something – please contact us. We offer a number of services that can help increase the air quality in your home, such as mold inspections, indoor air quality inspections, and HVAC/air duct/vent cleaning. In no time, we can get you diagnosed and working toward a solution to breathe easier in the days to come!
“Would highly recommend they were on time and did a wonderful job. Made such a huge difference in my house, something I have been wanting to do for years. We live on a dirt road in the country and it might be something I will consider doing every year.”
— Pam B. in Hutchinson, Kansas