There are many questions during a time like this but one of the main questions is, Is this a water problem that I can clean up myself?
Sadly, even in Hutchinson, Kansas, there are times when our homes may be flooded due to weather conditions or a water line breaking or a dishwasher leaking. There are many questions during a time like this but one of the main questions is, Is this a water problem that I can clean up myself?
It is a tricky question to answer, though. Flooding and water damage can come from various sources in Hutchinson, Kansas, and while the process of cleaning up is similar, that is not to say that every instance is the same and can be taken care of the same way. There are variables that can impact the amount of work and dangers involved in cleaning up water damage.
DANGERS IN THE WATER
Before deciding whether a water damage incident is one that could be cleaned up by yourself in Hutchinson Kansas, it is important to know what could be in the water. Microorganisms, such as bacteria, can multiply and grow in standing water. From there, they can get in the air, where you can inhale them. You or your family could be exposed to viruses, bacteria, parasites, as well as mold. Even when flooding is due to rainwater, floodwater can get mixed with sewage, dirt, or other substances and bring contaminants such as bacteria and chemicals into your home. This isn’t pleasant to consider, but it is essential to know and understand that the water damage may hold unseen dangers. Depending on these contaminants, it would be wise to hire a professional company that handles water restoration and mold remediation.
FROM SPORE TO MOLD
Another issue that was briefly mentioned above that may arise in Hutchinson, Kansas, is that if you experienced water damage or flooding and you were not able to dry your home (including furniture and other items) within 24-48 hours, you should assume you have mold growth. Even worse, it will continue to grow until steps are taken to eliminate the source of moisture and effectively deal with the mold problem. This can make cleaning up difficult if you do not have access to the right equipment to make sure that everything is completely dry, cleaned up, any and all mold removed, and make sure you don’t still have a moisture problem. Again, this isn’t pleasant to think about but it is essential to understand and know because mold can grow and become a much bigger issue if not dealt with and removed properly.
CLEANING UP WATER DAMAGE YOURSELF
According to the EPA Homeowner’s and Renter’s Guide to Mold Cleanup After Disasters, these are the steps you should take IF you must clean up damage from water yourself. This course of action is still not highly recommended due to the dangers and issues that come from water damage to a home in Hutchinson, Kansas.
- Put on personal protective equipment to protect your eyes, nose, mouth, and skin.
- Remove standing water and wet materials. Use a wet vacuum to remove water from floors, carpets, and hard surfaces. Dry your home and everything in it as quickly as you can – within 24 to 48 hours if you can.
- Open all doors and windows when you are working and leave as many open as is safe when you leave.
- Open inside doors, especially closets and interior rooms, to let air flow to all areas. Take doors off their hinges if you need to.
- Open kitchen cabinets and bathroom vanity doors; remove drawers, wipe them clean, and stack them to dry.
- Open the attic access to let air flow to the attic. Before you open the attic door, make sure nothing will fall on you.
- When electricity is safe to use, use fans and dehumidifiers to remove moisture. Do not use fans if mold has already started to grow, because the fans may spread the mold.
- Clean with water and a detergent. Remove all mold you can see. Dry right away.
- If you use cleaning products, do not mix cleaning products together. DO NOT mix bleach and ammonia because it can create toxic vapors.
- Painting or caulking over mold will not prevent mold from growing. Fix the water problem completely and clean up all the mold before you paint or caulk.
- Throw away items that can’t be cleaned and dried. Throw away anything that was wet with flood water and can’t be cleaned and dried completely within 24 to 48 hours.
- If you have precious items that you want to preserve, follow guidelines from a professional institution such as the Smithsonian Institute.
SO SHOULD I CLEAN UP WATER DAMAGE MYSELF?
The question remains, should I clean up the water damage myself? It really comes down to circumstances and the amount of water damage. Some very small water losses can certainly and safely be cleaned up yourself in Hutchinson, Kansas. There still may be a question after cleaning up water damage yourself as to whether it is cleaned and completely fixed. A mold remediation professional can carefully inspect the area and advise you on the situation. It is best to remember that any water damage can cause serious hazards such as structural damage, mold, lead dust, risks from carbon monoxide, and others. These risks, such as mold, can also increase in the future if the water damage was not completely dealt with properly, because mold can directly affect indoor air quality in a home and have adverse effects on the health and comfort of those living in the home. It is highly recommended by the EPA and other government agencies to hire a water restoration and mold remediation professional to clean up water damage. It is the safest and foremost way to make sure that water damage and any effects of water damage are successfully and completely fixed.
If you have experienced water damage and would like to have the situation assessed –
FreshCo Cleaning and Restoration can help. Give us a call and we can get you help within 2 hours in an emergency situation!
“Professional, courteous, knowledgeable all the way!”
— Denine F. in Wichita, Kansas