Fires are something that we all hope to never have to experience in Maize, Kansas because they are an immensely destructive force to homes, possessions, memories, and livelihoods. But being prepared in case of a fire can save lives and provide some sense of security in the event of a fire.
EMERGENCY SUPPLY KIT
Emergency supply kit suggestions can vary but most suggestions include the following:
- Water (one gallon per person per day for several days, for drinking and sanitation)
- Food (at least a several-day supply of non-perishable food)
- Battery-powered or hand crank radio and a NOAA Weather Radio with tone alert
- First aid kit
- Extra batteries
- Whistle (to signal for help)
- Dust mask (to help filter contaminated air)
- Plastic sheeting and duct tape (to shelter in place)
- Moist towelettes, garbage bags and plastic ties (for personal sanitation)
- Wrench or pliers (to turn off utilities)
- Manual can opener (for food)
- Local maps
- Cell phone with chargers and a backup battery
- Important documents (birth certificates, passports, etc.)
- Change of clothes
- Prescriptions or special medication
And if there is time, but only if there is actually time:
- Easily carried valuables
- Family photos and other irreplaceable items
- Personal computer information on hard drives and disks
It is highly recommended that any important documents be stored in a fire resistant pouch or safe and be easily accessible in case of an evacuation. These fire resistant pouches and safes come in many sizes but you’d want to make sure it was something that was easy to carry, not being too heavy. Another good idea is to store photos or other irreplaceable items that can be saved on an external hard drive or memory stick and place it with the important documents. This will not only save time (that you may not have a lot of) but also save those irreplaceable photos or other documents.
DON’T FORGET TO PREPARE FOR EVACUATING YOUR PETS
When preparing an evacuation kit for your pets, it will vary according to the type of pet, of course, but generally a kit should include the following:
- Sturdy leashes, harnesses, and/or carriers to transport pets safely and ensure that they can’t escape.
- Food, drinking water, bowls, cat litter/pan and a manual can opener if your pet eats canned food.
- Medications and copies of medical records stored in a waterproof container.
- A first aid kit.
- Current photos of you with your pet(s) in case they get lost. Since many pets look alike, this will help to eliminate mistaken identity and confusion.
- Information on feeding schedules, medical conditions, behavior problems, and the name and number of your veterinarian in case you have to foster or board your pets.
- Pet beds and toys, if easily transportable.
A MUST MENTION IS – FIRE SAFETY
As fires can be unpredictable and spread quite quickly in Maize, Kansas, fire safety is an all-important step in making sure that everyone is able to evacuate safely.
According to the Red Cross the top tips for fire safety are:
- Install smoke alarms on every level of your home, inside bedrooms, and outside sleeping areas.
- Test smoke alarms every month. If they’re not working, change the batteries.
- Talk with all family members about a fire escape plan and practice the plan twice a year.
- If a fire occurs in your home, GET OUT, STAY OUT, and CALL FOR HELP. Never go back inside.
It seems redundant to say that emergencies are unpredictable because an emergency is indicative of being an unpredictable event – that being said, when they occur we are usually caught off guard and the results of such emergencies are quite unpredictable and sadly upend people’s lives. So it is very important to prepare as much as we reasonably can.
The absolute most important thing to get out of a Maize, Kansas home during an evacuation is ourselves, our families, and if we have them, pets. Be sure to place your evacuation kits in an easily accessible place so they can be picked up on the way out of the home safely. With these precautions set in place, as unpredictable as an emergency can be, we will be prepared to the best of our ability.
If you have unfortunately experienced a fire and as a result need help, please give FreshCo a call; we are here to help! We provide fire and water damage restoration services that can begin to make home feel like home again.
“I have the utmost respect for Ray and London. They are professional through and through and I know their team is too. If I ever have need of any of their type of services I know exactly who I will call. I have seen their work, I highly recommend them.”
— Robyn N. in Wichita, Kansas